Monday, May 10, 2010

My kids are back on film - Amy Perl Photography Oakland

From time to time, I try to remember that I am a film photographer. This seems to be coming up a lot with photographer friends (and others) lately, and I just felt like adding my two cents. I love film. Always have, always will. I spent much time (and money!) on my film habit, and it was a hard break up. Well, turns out I don't need to be broken up with it. Turns out I still crave that addiction, and I'm going to start using again! I began photographing in my early teens, worked on the yearbook staff in high school, hung out in the darkroom, spent all my college years in the darkroom, then after college I again lived in darkrooms, then built my own darkroom....had gallery shows, did experimental printing processes...none of which involved computers or anything digital (other than playing with cooking film in the microwave a couple of times, just to see....). Anyway, you get the point.

These couple of shots of my loves are shot on my ancient 4x5 monorail camera, using my FAVORITE film EVER, Polaroid type 55. I've been using this film for almost 20 years, and I pray and hope I can always get some...for now, I have a small stash.

IsaacMay2010_4x5_72
AviMay2010_4x5_72

1 comment:

moongirl said...

Love to see your kids growing - they are beautiful! And I love your love of film! I still have my Mamiya C220 and every so often I get to use it - there's nothing like it. :)

Tam (Dayn's sis)